La Russophobe has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://larussophobe.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Take action now to save Darfur

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Who Killed Anna Politkovskaya?


Yesterday, Russian journalist and patriot Anna Politkovskaya of Novaya Gazeta was murdered. She gave her life for her country more fearlessly than any Russian soldier, for she fought without a gun. Who killed her?

There's only one answer to that question: The Russian people. They are far more dangerous to Russia's future than any foreign enemy.

They killed her when they voted for a proud KGB spy to become their "president," just as surely as if they'd placed a gun to her head and pulled the trigger.

They killed her before she died, by breaking her heart, as she watched dozens of her colleagues gunned down, sued, arrested and imprisoned for daring to tell the truth, while the cowardly Russian people stood idly by and did nothing.

They killed her when they allowed the Kremlin to take over national television, and bring back the Soviet national anthem, showing that they'd learned nothing from decades of totalitarian horror at the hans of the Soviet dictatorship.

They killed her just like they killed Pushkin and Lermontov, as they tried to kill Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn, by creating a climate in which their Kremlin overlords have no hesitation in liqudating those who dare to criticize, a climate in which the definitions of "patriot" and "traitor" are reversed.

The Russian people killed Anna Politkovskaya. Right now, they are in the early stages of conducting a pogrom against Georgians, including children, for no better reason than naked greed and imperialism. And, to all appearances, they will go on killing until there is nobody left in Russia. Only then will they be satisfied.

There is still a chance for them to turn back from the precipice of Doom. But time is running out. Soon it will be too late.

{NB: Of course, there can be no Sunday Funnies today. One wonders if it will ever be possible to have them again. Rest in peace, Anna. History will remember you as the hero you were.}

11 comments:

La Russophobe said...

ANNA: Me too! I'm so pissed I didn't even realized I couldn't gather my pissed thoughts until you mentioned it! And worse than that I'm even a little scared, which is truly freaking me out. I mean, I knew this stuff was going to happen, that's what the blog's all about after all, but even I didn't think it would happen so fast. The only consolation is that at least A.P. won't have to see what comes next, and that now we'll have the motivation not to let her down.

brett_mcs said...

Those who resort to violence are weak.

brett_mcs said...

The difference to the Soviet era is that information is flowing more freely, thanks to La Russophobe and others. Let's hope that this will be enough to eventually overcome this terrible setback and win through in the end.

La Russophobe said...

UGLY RACOON: I'd almost like to kiss you for leaving that comment, it says far better than I could the Neo-Soviet state that modern Russia is in. Maybe today you and the Kremlin think alike, but did you ever pause to consider what will happen tomorrow, when you don't, when your family displeases the Kremlin because it has the wrong color carpet or wears blue jeans?

La Russophobe said...

WINNY: The only hope would be if she became a martyr whose demise could motivate others to join the fight. But unfortunately, with TV being in the hands of the Kremlin, most people won't even realize that there is a fight going on. It's rather suprising how widely it's being conceded that this is an act of the Kremlin, though, and perhaps there's some hope to be found in that for purposes of galvanizing opinion outside Russia. For sure, we must not allow her to have perished in vain.

UGLY RACCOON: Censor you? You must be kidding. I'd love it if you wrote a book on this blog. You have a blog?? What blog? There's no blog behind your screen name. The people who informed on their neighbors in the time of Stalin weren't afraid either. Not until they heard the knocks on their own doors. I guess you are against Putin because he's too moderate, right? Not killing people fast enough for you I guess.

La Russophobe said...

UGLY: Well, you're certainly not speaking from experience with THIS BLOG, so I'd suggest you keep your fat lying mouth shut in that regard. "Check yandex on 17ur"? Are you nuts or just drunk? Just give me the address, if there is one. I'd love to check out the psychotic ramblings of a Russophile maniac as sick as you.

I guess you think the Germans had a "lawful order" for each Russian they killed so that's just fine with you, right? And when the KGB comes for you with a "lawful order" that will be fine too, right?

La Russophobe said...

UGLY:

You were lying about the possiblity that I would ban your comments from this blog. What's more, you haven't apologized now that you see how wrong you were. For future reference, it's best to take a little rest from the vodka before you write something. You're also a liar in saying that I don't know what Yandex is. I said I WOULDN'T look up your blog, not that I COULDN'T. I simply have better things to do, and if you have a blog there's no reason you can't post the address like a normal quasi-human.

Thanks for the handy list of psycho Russian nationalist screeds including your own, I'm sure they'll prove very useful. Now, was that so hard to do? You could have done it the first time and saved a lot of trouble.

Now, I guess you're asking me which I find more convincing, your psychobabble or that of the world-famous newspapers listed here:

http://russophobe.blogspot.com/2006/10/memorials-for-anna-politkovskaya.html

(right below this post).

I suppose you'll be "shocked, shocked" to learn that I find the world's press more credible than you. The things you are saying about Anna are exactly the same things that the Politburo said about Solzhenitsyn. And guess where the Politburo is today? Same place you and your ilk will be a few decades from now, if not sooner.

brett_mcs said...

A few decades from now? The average Russian male over 27 will be dead in a few decades.

La Russophobe said...

BRETT: LOL! Very nice. You'll put me out of work if you keep that up.

Anonymous said...

Don't belive russian people killed her. Who in Russia knew something about Politkovskaya when she was alive? I did. Only cause I worked in 'Novaya Gazeta' as showbiznes reporter one year. But all my friends knew nothing about her. There was no limit to buy and to read 'Novaya Gazeta' and all her books. You have to understand us (russians) why we don't like her. What did she wrote? 'I HATE PUTIN', 'PUTIN IS WORSE THAN STALIN', 'I HAVE AN AVERSION TO PUTIN'. I don't want to read this. I have my own time and I spend it to my buissness. Not for dirty politiks.
PS
Putin sad this murder is ugley and nothing can excuse killing of a woman and mother.
I think it was enough of condolence.

Anonymous said...

This is very sad...
I've been living in Russia for a long time and i can asure you guys, that Russia is a country without future...
Russian couples don't want any children cause they are afraid that they can't afford them. Russia is a country for rich corrupt bastards who built their fortune on bones and blood of others.
The Death of Anna is a proof of killed democracy ( if there was any..)
She is a hero in my eyes and i will fight for freedom of mankind too...even if it takes my life!

cheers, M. from Holland